Behringer announce plans to reproduce the original bass line synthesizer
The sound that defined the ‘Second Summer of Love’ returns
The original TB-303 ‘bass line synthesiser’ was initally released in 1981 and within 3 years the product was discontinued, due to lack of sales. Initially thought as a failure, enterprising electronic producers took the ‘squelching’ and ‘chirping’ sound and incorporated it into early electronic dance music genres now known as House and Techno. Today, the original TB-303 is so revered that it fetches up to $9,000 on the second hand market.
Enter Behringer who have announced plans to reproduce the iconic synthesiser dubbed the TD-3. Aimed at those fans who want to relive the halcyon days of ’88 and ‘89 and want to recreate the music that sound tracked the summer. The Behringer TD-3 is fully analogue and reproduces the analogue circuitry of the original 303, it includes a special modification not found in the original with a distortion effect that is based on the Boss DS-1 guitar pedal, users will be able to give the perfect amount of drive and grunt to push the “envelope” to the max. Check out the official launch video from Behringer below.
Additional features of the TD-3 include 16-step sequence, authentic VCO, VCF and VCA filters, pure signal analog path, vintage oscillator (sawtooth and square) wave shaping, and modern day connectivity such as MIDI in and out, USB, and multiple external connections to pair with additional controllers. Read a comprehensive list of features below:
- Authentic reproduction of original circuitry with matched transistors
- Pure analog signal path based on legendary VCO, VCF and VCA designs
- Sawtooth and square waveform VCO with transistor wave-shaping circuitry
- Amazing 4-pole low-pass resonant filter with cut-off, resonance, envelope, decay and accent controls
- Easy-to-use 16-step sequencer with 7 tracks, each with 250 user patterns
- Arpeggiator with wide patterns for great sound effects
- Distortion circuitry modeled after the DS-1* adds insane spice and edge to your sounds
- 16-voice Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16 voice polyphony
- 11 controls and 28 switches to give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
- MIDI and USB implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
- 3-Year Warranty Program
- Designed and engineered in Italy
In addition to the classic silver finish the TD-3 will be available in blue and red finishes. Pair it up with the Behringer RD-8 to re-create that classic Chicago and Detroit acid house sound! Watch a complete overview video from Youtuber Leloop below. For more info read up more on the Behringer website. View the TD-3 range here.